Sunday, September 30, 2007

What's new and Artist Tips

Well, I finished up the strips for next week. It's going to be a little three strip series I was workin on that I think you guys will like. I've been putting a lot of focus on my writing these days and it's have a big impact. I'm finding that if I write far in advance, it's no sweat cranking out the strips. It's when I don't have a strip written and I sit down to the drawing table, because deadline is aproaching that I have a problem. So my advice to you other aspiring comic artists out there, focus on your writing, and write well ahead of deadlines.

Also, I want to start giving out some tips on this blog, mostly targeted to beginner cartoonists. So today's tip is about crow quill pens. These things can be a bit of a pain sometimes, especialy if you are an impacient person. You have give your lines time to dry before you cross over them, or you will end up with ink blotching at the connection points. Also, if you're a bit quick to erase your pencil lines you're going to find a lot of ink streaks on your paper. The good news is they come out real nice in photoshop ;)

The advantage to this pen is the great line variation it gives you. Whenever I try to use microns, it just doesn't feel the same for me. It's a very mechanical line that is the same size at all times. The quill feels looser, and more dynamic. You may think it wont change much, but it makes a big difference in your work. It's all dependent on what kind of style you're going for. I personally suggest to the beginner to try out everything and see what works best for you.

If you DO use crow quill pens, make sure you get SMOOTH bristel board, NOT velum. If you use velum, the ink will sink right into the paper and bleed out of your lines. It looks terrible, and you will be pissed, especialy if you just spent hours getting your pencils right. When you use the smooth bristel, the ink sits almost on top of the paper and your lines do not fall apart.

No comments: